Complexity of this website? your opinions PLEASE!!!

threedash

Hi everyone,

I am new to web design so please bare with me. I am trying to help a client build his website, and he looked at this site and wanted something similar.

I was wondering if there's anything complex about this website that a NOOB like me would need to look into/understand. (coding side) I might be new at web coding but I can pick it up pretty fast.

thanks in advance for your help.

(website in question)
diffenbaugh.com

_threedash

Last edited:

dqhendricks

If he wants a forum site like this, you should look in to using a prebuilt CMS (Content Management System), like Drupal. They are free, they have the features you want, and you just have to set up the settings, and customize.

bcee

You will need to know the basics this example carries: XHTML, CSS, Flash (can be done with JS). Besides that it looks fairly simple from a development view.

radhika

Though it looks like built on a CMS in the beginning, it is static web site with little javascript and DHTML menus.

So very easy to built.

But disadvantage is: Very difficult to expand. Say your client again wants a forum integrated into the site, then it will be a bit difficult. So ask your client what are his future needs for this web site.

CMS scripts like Wordpress is best way to go. You can linit it to small web site OR expand in future with many plugins available.

Last edited:

ReneeRash

I had a look at it. It's mainly done in PHP with some javascript applied to the images. If you're comfortable with PHP it probably wouldn't be too difficult to put together but there is quite a lot going on in the site so it could take a fair bit of time.

rwebber77

Since you are new to the development world, I would stick to Wordpress or Joomla, and maybe expand on parts you think you can handle. Plus, your client would be able to maintain his own site.

jaysantos

I will just look at this site as if you are my client, and then tell you what I see.

Here are some of the things I found:

First off this website is written in PHP, so you would have to:

a. know PHP (Required)
and/or
b. use a CMS

special stuff on each individual page:

Index Page >>

The Menu bar:

This is Java Script, you will need to find a script or make your own for the Menu bar.

The rotating images:

They did this with Flash, but you can do this in Java script as well.

Internal Links:

All of the internal links are controlled with JavaScript for faster load time.

That's the instant stuff I saw by briefly looking at this site. It will all depend on how much work you want to do, and how similar to this site your client wants it to be.

The overall look should not be too difficult, but the little added JavaScript and Flash enhancements that are on the index page might be what you need to focus on if this is something your client wants.