Code for 404's

jeanm

A while ago I removed some pages from my site and they are still returning 404's. I've now created a personalized 404 page but what code do I use to make this happen please?

Currently I have this ISAPI _Rewrite code in operation so do I add something into this?

[ISAPI_Rewrite]
RewriteRule (.*)\.htm $1.php [I,O,RP]
RewriteRule (.*)\.html $1.php [I,O,RP]

I've searched around on the internet for a solution but I'm not understanding what I find - it's all going over my head. My site is http://www.heritageceilings.com.au

Thanks in advance...Jean

chrishirst

Staff member
Huh??

If the pages are not there then they will return a 404 response and if you have created a custom 404 document that will be shown instead.

The rewrite rules above redirect *.htm & *.html document extension URLs to the same document with a .php extension, so quite what that has to with 404 response I'm not sure.

benjamin.morgan

If you have a .htaccess file add this:

Code:
ErrorDocument 404 "/404.html"

Make sure your file is named 404.html or if it is different change the name in the line above.

chrishirst

Staff member
By using ISAPIRewrite the TS is telling us that the site is running on IIS on a Windows server not Apache so there is no .htaccess file.

error documents are setup in web.config.

jeanm

I know the Rewrite rules have nothing to do with the 404 question. I put that in there so you guys would know there is no .htaccess file.

I'm presuming I put use the code as benjamin.morgan suggests but where exactly do I put it please? I thought maybe I included it in the Rewrite rules but perhpas not. I'm sorry but I'm not at all knowlegeable on this subject - as you can no doubt tell.