Client Site - Photographer

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Link: http://www.roedesigns.com/clients/dbrown/

OK. I'm pretty sure this is done. Pick it apart. I'm looking more for small details.

A few notes:
- All content is dummy content.
- The main page will probably drop the sidebar, just waiting on the OK from the client.
- I know there's nothing on the Pricing page.

Everything is fully responsive. If you look on your mobile, please let me know what model, and if you can drop a screenshot (or PM me one), I'd be grateful.

bermuda

It has a deep, colorful tone but don't you think providing the audience with a bit more information will be a great idea? When visiting the homepage, one cannot tell what it is about actually, an online art exhibit or showcase, a photo gallery, selection of stock photos?

The top area, right around the header image you can write a few text lines talking about the whole mission of website. By the way, the default phrase " Just Another WordPress Site" in the title needs replacement.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see you've been working with this site since the last time I saw it.

I do enjoy the parallex header but it's only noticable really when someone resizes the browser? bit of a shame it's not more noticable if you scroll on a large page of content, I think that would look pretty nice...

I'm not 100% sold on the main body copy font. it seems a little large.

the textarea in the forms overlaps at smaller sizes. its OK once it kicks into the smaller query but just before when the right column is still visible it overhangs into the right column. (the 2 column layout with the textarea at that size probably needs to change at approx 835px)

and just on the queries, I noticed that the min you use is 600px? hows this translate on mobile portrait? (dont have my ph on me so cant check...)

I think the header styles might need to be adapted for smaller sizes as well. I noticed with the gallery for instance the content wraps down to 2 thumbs per line, but the header still remains at the larger size...

(i'm using firefox by the way)

d a v e

the bokeh effect could be a bit more restrained and i'm not sure about the glow on the main logo/text

dates and normal text is too big. main copy is larger than the headings! pricing page text is ok but then make the headings in proportion (i.e. larger) and try the text one notch smaller

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not 100% sold on the main body copy font. it seems a little large.
Seems to be a common thread. I'll play with the font sizes.

the textarea in the forms overlaps at smaller sizes. its OK once it kicks into the smaller query but just before when the right column is still visible it overhangs into the right column. (the 2 column layout with the textarea at that size probably needs to change at approx 835px)
That doesn't happen for me in any browser. Wonder what the difference is?

and just on the queries, I noticed that the min you use is 600px? hows this translate on mobile portrait? (dont have my ph on me so cant check...)
There are separate queries for mobile using max-device-width. I find they work better on iOS.

Thanks for the input.

AsheSkyler

I don't know if you've started on the blog part yet or not, but the text is showing black: http://www.roedesigns.com/clients/dbrown/2012/09/

I do enjoy the parallex header but it's only noticable really when someone resizes the browser? bit of a shame it's not more noticable if you scroll on a large page of content, I think that would look pretty nice...
I didn't even notice the header until you mentioned that. Then I spent several minutes playing with the window to watch the circles change their positions.

Roddy

One thing I would look at is why the horizontal scrollbar appears and disappears at various browser widths. This is my test for finding weaknesses in my width calculations.

At middle widths this seems to be caused by the sidebar and at narrower widths the navigation.

This problem is not apparent on the various devices but does suggest that there is room for improvement!

The space between the main content and the aside seems excessive - particularly on iPad.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
The space between the main content and the aside seems excessive - particularly on iPad.

Thanks for that one. I changed the width of the div for the sidebar and the main content area, but the main page uses a different page template, which doesn't have a div with the #main ID. When I did that, I forgot to change it for the index page template main div. It's better now. Normally, I would've grouped those things together. I'm not sure why I didn't this time, but it's not getting changed now.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
oh come on! when are people going to actually read the ORIGINAL POSTS!
A few notes:
- All content is dummy content.
- The main page will probably drop the sidebar, just waiting on the OK from the client.
- I know there's nothing on the Pricing page.
so rosie...thats your answer!

RedStamp.ca

I love the responsive flow, it's a nice effect.

There really isn't much to review right now with the dummy content. However the dummy images load very slow for me.

Great start though

Roddy

Home page should have examples of your work. A nice photo goes a long way.

The original post states that this is a client site and, to me, suggests that the client is a photographer.

Are you suggesting that the photographer's site should have a "nice photo" of examples of the web designer's work?