Client Help

CaldwellYSR

Struggles..... So I'm working on a wp template for a client who I got from elance. The guy is technologically retarded and the only thing he keeps telling me is he wants the design to be "fresh". Like this is 1996 or something and he's the fresh prince. Anyways, I've come up with 5 mockups at this point and the guy has turned down all 5 of them but he can't really put his finger on what the problem is for each one. I'm running out of ideas and he's not helping at all. I've looked at some other websites in the same field as his company (401k plans for small businesses) and tried to model towards that feel. So I guess my question is...

TL;DR People see below:

What kind of question do you ask a client to help figure out a design that will work?

Nathan Joshua

Funnily enough, every other customer I get is like this guy.

The way I work around it is not wasting time building examples for them.

Go to a template selling website, take some screenshots of 5 or so nice websites, ask them what they like or do not like about each one, then combine the elements they do like into designs while avoiding what they do not like.

It works in most cases. However, some customers do not know what they want EVER. They will never be happy with any design and at the last minute say. 'imma go nougher company cuz dey cheper k???, thans'

Unfortunately customers like that made web designers inherit the deposit feature.

Good luck Cald :)

Fireproofgfx

I always ask that they browse other websites and tell me what features they like about ones they like the most. You did right by looking at the industry standard and basing an idea off of them but maybe that's the issue, he wants to move away from the same ole same ole 401k site that people see, which I am sure you probably made it better than just a plan 401k kind of site.

You should show us the templates you did. I would love to see them. Anyways good luck with this, I hope it gets better for you.