Centered Suckerfish Menu with Auto Item Width

undoIT

I'd like to add a drop-down menu on themebot.com. It needs to be light-weight and accessible for search engines. I've looked at Suckerfish, Suckerfish variations and other CSS-based drop down menus but I haven't found a technique that will work for this specific situation:

1. The first requirement is that the menu needs to be centered with something like
Code:
margin:0px auto;
. I can manually center the flat list by adding margin to the left side, but this will not work well because different browsers use different fonts and so the menu will be off-center in some browsers.

The second requirement is that the menu items need to all have the same amount of padding on the right and left sides. The dropdown menus I've seen that can be centered use a set width for the list items. This adds a lot of unnecessary padding. For example, the menu items "FAQ" and "Website Templates" will both have the same set width. This limits the number of top level menu items that can be added and doesn't look very good.

Does anyone know of a technique that works for both of the requirements above?

Thanks in advance!

jnjc

I am not familiar with the menus you have mentioned, and it's difficult to give advice without some code to look at, but to make the centering cross browser compatible you will probably need to wrap your menu in a div and apply the centering to it. Post a url/code and I can give you more detailed advice.

HTH,
JC