Career in web design

Ben

Im thinking about doing a degree in web design but is it a viable career or am I just fooling myself into trying to make a job out of a hobby that I love!

ian

Administrator
Staff member
It all depends on your abilities, there are some people that make good money who work for big design firms which handle medium to large corporate website design.
Some people also make good money from template sales, but from what I have seen it is a very tough market and can be rather hard to make a living from this field. I guess it all comes down to how good your work is.

I wouldnt do it.
Why not take a different degree and learn web design at home. There will be some decent tutorials in book shops or on the web. Also, look at learndirect and home courses, stuff like that. Thats how I learned VB.
But thats just my opinion.

AainaA

take something else. like aerospatial engineering or something different. web design is quite simple really.

Ben

Thanks for the advice, what about web developing rather than design is there any future in that?

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Ben said:
Thanks for the advice, what about web developing rather than design is there any future in that?
Yes, I believe there is a future in that....

AainaA

i think what would be best is to take up something you're inclined to work with in the next 5 to 10 years as a career. Perhaps learning flash, java, perl, php or the likes would help you a great deal. web applications like groupware cms would be a good start to work on once you've acquired certain programming skills..

Ben

Thanks for all your advice, i am going to the university next wednesday to discuss my options.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ben said:
of course their is. it all really depends on you though, as in how dedicated you are to the work and everything that comes with it. internet and the technologies surrounding it are ever evolving. if this is what you want to do for a living, you will never stop learning. most bigger companies and organizations give you a budget for taking classes and seminars to help you to stay on top of your game. :)

but like i said, it's really just up to you. it's a lot of work and lots of long hours depending whom you work for.

AainaA

uni? oh wee... you're gonna have loads of fun - remember the moments - its like making your first million or something like it

SiteTutor

Web Development is a very lucrative industry to be in. Design is very specific but if you are passionate and dedicated, you may be very successful at it.
PM me some of your work if you like :)