Career advice please.

LilRaRa

Quick question for those experienced in the web design/development field. I've been a graphic designer/architectural draftsman for over 10 years now. Mostly a draftsman because, well, people just dont pay well for graphic designers these days. Now that the housing market has all but fully been destroyed and I've been laid off for the 3rd time in 6 years or so, I'd like to chase my passion for design.

I'm planning to begin my Associates degree in Computer Technology with a secondary focus in internet programming in the upcoming spring semester. How successful do you think I would be in finding a postion as a web designer/developer after graduating this course? I'm hoping my years of experience in design, combined with a degree teaching a lot of coding woukd allow me to be a well rounded jack of all trades in front end web design.

I also hope to transfer as many credits as possible over to Savannah College of Art and Design, to continue on for my bachelors in interactive design. While I KNOW that would be a good move, we'll just have to see what's going on when I get to that point. I'm 30 years old with two kids and a wife. Another 4-6 years of school sounds like a lifetime to me.

Thanks, in advance, for your responses.

Ray

leroy30

Hi Ray,

Unfortunately I can't really answer your question given that I'm across the other side of the world and I work for myself; putting me in a different context than finding employment in SC.

That being said the industry seems to be flooded around here; but not with professional designers more like hobbyists who think they are! Whilst I'm not knocking the hobbyists (it's how I started) I just mean there is a flooded market yet there seems to be good market for people who stand out. Uh, hope that made sense.

Besides if it is your passion you will excel and there is always a job for those the truly excel.

I also think it is difficult in any profession at these times so a part of it is merely wading it out. Also you might want to focus on HTML5 websites for mobile devices; it seems to be an emerging market with few people who truly know what they are doing; Though that's just my opinion lol.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also think it is difficult in any profession at these times so a part of it is merely wading it out. Also you might want to focus on HTML5 websites for mobile devices; it seems to be an emerging market with few people who truly know what they are doing; Though that's just my opinion lol.
indeed! put yourself at the forefront of the industry. learn the newest of everything.