Can you please have a look at my website template

Cic

Hi guys!

I work for a Unified Communications company and we are now setting up a new website for the business. I have just received a front page image template to review. I am not too sure if I am totally happy with the layout, so I thought I might check with the experts. I believe there's a lot of you in this forum;) I would love for the website to follow some of the trends, but still be professional as it is for a B2B company. I also had in mind that the website should be easy to use on smartphones and tablets. I have attached the image below. I would be happy if you would like to share your opinion with me. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. I am really keen on getting a top website for the company! :)

Template review.jpg

Kind Regards,

Cic

CaldwellYSR

I'm personally not a fan of the yellow. I don't know why but the template looks very Microsoft and that kind of turns me off. Maybe if you changed the yellow to a blue or green it would look better. Maybe like a light blue-green color. I'm thinking something like #00E3D8 would be a good color in place of that yellow.

Also the "click to view all" button looks kind of odd to me the way it's centered. I think it would be better either flush left with the content or to the right edge of the content.

Finally there's alot of space at the top... I'd probably cut that in half at least. Maybe even cut 2/3 of it out.

I think the overall design would look pretty good with those changes. It's not a bad looking site :)

Cic

Thank you for your feedback Matthew. I appreciate your opinion :)

We cannot change the colors of the bars on the side to blue or green as the colors of the company is yellow and grey. Do you think grey or maybe just white would be better? Or do you have any other suggestions of what we could have there? I do agree the yellow looks too bright and a bit "easter'ish".

Kind Regards,
Cic

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
there is enough yellow within the content area to satisfy the clients needs re: corporate colours.
I would put a muted grey or a dark grey in place of the yellow on the outside.

if it is a 960px site (or therabouts) on a large screen (say a 27" iMac) will result in about 800px on either side in bright yellow which would be really awful. yes think about the smartphones and tablets, but also the other end of the spectrum too.

CaldwellYSR

there is enough yellow within the content area to satisfy the clients needs re: corporate colours.
I would put a muted grey or a dark grey in place of the yellow on the outside.

if it is a 960px site (or therabouts) on a large screen (say a 27" iMac) will result in about 800px on either side in bright yellow which would be really awful. yes think about the smartphones and tablets, but also the other end of the spectrum too.

I agree with this one. Sucks that your colors are yellow though :p But yes go with the grey over that yellow. If I was on a 27" iMac (ahhh I wish) I would probably be temporarily blinded by this site.

Cic

Thank you all kindly for your feedback. It is much appreciated.

Have a lovely day :)

Kind Regards,

Cic

reverseengineer

Not great. In my opinion I'd scrap this and completely re-design the site. Yellow isn't an attractive color and if you must use yellow, I'd go with a warmer hue. Tabs, as well as the fonts are not bold enough. And the quote is just awful. Good luck.

chrishirst

Staff member
I have to agree on the quote/mission statement.

A: NEVER use contractions when you are making a statement.

B: Do NOT (<<< see what I did there?) use "Title" Case When It Is Not A Title.

C: It is (<<< and again) contrite and somewhat contrived.

D: Have a "by-line" that has some impact on the readers.

Your by-line should tell them why they should use your services, without any overuse of superlatives.

Just the word "Communicate" could be sufficient.

The "we're passionate about ..." should be in the first lines of the "About Us" spiel.
For example.
Who are we and what do we do?

First and foremost, we are passionate about helping YOU communicate.

Designers, Developers & Clients rarely make good copywriters. Clients especially, because they ALWAYS focus on what they DO, rather than what they can do for YOU (the reader, visitor or potential client)

Oh! No comment on the yellow.