Can You Help Me Find the Right Styles for My Site's Target Market?

agfreesafety

Through market research, we've gained a better idea of our target audience; thus, we want to revamp our website and overall web presence, including YouTube videos.

Our services are focused on real estate owners and real estate investors located here in the Metro Detroit (Michigan) area.

Based on our research (and logic), we've identified that our target audience:

1. Live in the Metro Detroit area
2. Are males
3. Are aged between 45-54 years of age

With this information, I'd like to get a better idea of:

1. The ideal font size for copy on our website
2. The colors that would best fit this demographic
3. The appearance and style of conversation that's likely to build rapport w/ this demographic (for videos)
4. The type of copy that would have the best chance of connecting with this demographic
5. Ideal website layout

We are going to eventually hire a copywriter to do the final draft of the website copy.

But in the meantime, I'd like to create it myself.

From what I understand, a deep understanding of the target market for our services is vital for a good copywriter.

Because of this, I figured that the research I've done could help both myself, as well as the copywriter down the line.

My question:

How might I go about obtaining information that would help me get a better idea of items 1-5 listed above?

Thanks for your time and help

chrishirst

Staff member
You do know that NONE of those points have anything at all to do with SEO.

Everything there is MARKETING, and "SEO" is just one MINOR part of an overall marketing strategy.

agfreesafety

You do know that NONE of those points have anything at all to do with SEO.

Everything there is MARKETING, and "SEO" is just one MINOR part of an overall marketing strategy.

The name of this section is SEO and Marketing. This issue does indeed involve marketing, does it not?

chrishirst

Staff member
That's true, it must have been a shock to my system that some one had actually read the title beyond the word 'optimisation'
But to be honest, if you are planning to revamp your site before 2016 you need to hire someone.

From what I understand, a deep understanding of the target market for our services is vital for a good copywriter.
Nope, they write the WORST copy imaginable, simply because they know what they are talking about and thus fail dismally to write in a way that the average 'man in the street' can understand.

So-called SEO "Expert" copy writer will try to bludgeon the reader about the head with "key words"

But a good copywriter weaves a story around the product, in a way that draws the interest of the reader, not everybody has that skill.

Karon Thakston of http://www.marketingwords.com/ certainly does

agfreesafety

What did you mean by your 2016 comment? I don't think it would take too long for me to modify my site myself.

I am going to hire a copywriter who has proven experience writing sales copy. The rest of the site (the blog) will continue to be produced by myself

chrishirst

Staff member
I don't think it would take too long for me to modify my site myself.
Sure; you could learn to modify things in about a week.

Knowing how to substantially improve your documents and overall website performance takes time and experience.

Getting answers from forum posts is more likely to confuse you, because there are so many "experts" spreading so much bullshit and ancient "facts" that were never "facts" in the last century never mind this one.