Can you guys please review my website?

weededi

Hey guys,

We got someone to build us a brand new website for our fitness store and it is almost ready. However, me and my partner are not 100% sure about the website. I can see something is not right and my business partner just hates it. Can you guys please advice what is wrong it and what could be done to improve it?

www.fitnessavenue.ca/index2.php

Best regards,
Eddie

webstudent123

Issues:
MAIN PAGE-
1- the images in the small white boxes must not have been optimized correctly- very pixelated & choppy looking-
2- main navigation links need to have some hover over effect (might be in the works)
3- the main site container is too far from the top of the page - needs to be tighted up a bit (easy fix)
4- top right corner rounded effect is also pixelated- same where the red nav/page divider takes a curve after the search bar- should have been done in vectors but looks to have been done in pixels-
5- the background which is currently flat white (outside of main site)- I recommend going with a fixed position dark grey with similar stripes to the inside header- This will really make the site 'pop'
6- the large treadmill image- once again - bat cut out- very pixelated

PRODUCTS
1- the small dumbell images as well as the text "25lbs" ect.. is horribly optimized/ cut out- really needs a 'graphic designers touch or simply more attention in general

ON GOING- As I look through the entire site there is a constant issue- all of the small images are not optimzed correctly- from dumbells to weight bench set ups they all look horrible- These are your products on display, really need some attention-
ALSO- In the title I dont know why and dont like 'fitiness avenue being inside brakets [ ]-

I bet once out get the image issues fixed and a nice dark background you might like it-

Hope it helps

v2Media

To be fair, it's hard to judge a design 1/2 way through the conversion process to a working web page. It would be handy if you could post a mock-up of what the completed design is supposed to look like (you have an approved graphic design of the site yes?).

Having said that, I'd be more concerned with the credentials of your designer. The credits say "web design: Andre Mourinho". In doing a search for this name, no valid webpage can be found on the domain www.andremourinho.com bar some kind of warcraft game page indexed in google. Is this fellow a professional designer or a school kid making some extra money? I can't find any other work with his credits on the internet. The fact that andremourinho.com hosted on godaddy is also a bit of a worry.

In so far as the design is concerned, I think it has a great header, apart from the cheesy thumbnails. From there the design is uninteresting. The weight of the page is excessive at almost 1mb! and the layout is table based (amateur stuff imo). The design has nearly 200Kb for javascript libraries for which I can see no immediate purpose. The list goes on...

What can be done to save it? The theme for the design is established nicely in the header. The combo of diagonal texture over a grey gradient with a strong red/black logo is quite good. These elements should be repeated throughout the design, instead you have a rather plain, uninteresting layout once the header scrolls out of view.

I'd also like to see a unique product advantage touted some where. Something that makes your company stand above the competition; some awards or PR or something. A catchy tagline perhaps? The design just needs some pizazz to do the logo/header justice to finish it off.

weededi

Thank you all for your help

Thank you all for your honest opinions, ideas and tips. I will forward it to my web designer and I hope that he will put all your ideas in a good use.

Best regards,
Eddie