Can it be something besides the stupid hosting service?

StephanieCordray

I have a friend who just set up invision board. Although the kinks are still worked out for usability for the scope of the topics, it seems to work great ... when it's working. It goes down at least once a day since she obtained the hosting service for her site. Tech or somebody told her it was a weak mySQL database, another promised a new SQL server... It's only been about two weeks since she moved her site and setup the new board.

The last time today, it was down for over an hour. The rest of her site works fine during the down times... so...

What do you all think?

Chroder

I vote for "stupid hosting service".

IPB is a good, professional product and it wouldn't just stop working all of a sudden. In fact, not many scripts at all will stop working for no reason at all.

StephanieCordray

Yeah, I know... i am 99.5% sure that is the hosting service but, well, how do you tell someone whom you don't know very well yet but is aware that you own a hosting business that her hosting service sucks? I've never known one to stop either and I've never worked with IPB personally... I know how good it is from sites like this one. If I was heavily into running forums it's the one I'd choose.

StephanieCordray

I'm so blonde today... she's not using invision... she's using vbulletin...which makes it even less likely that it's a board issue.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
sounds like bad database administration on the hosts end to me. i have had a few running IPB boards in the past and never encounter any problems that resulted in down time.

StephanieCordray

Hugs, AA. I've been doing fine, thanks, and you?

Yeah, that was my thought on the hosting but they must have done something since she complained a lot.. It hasn't been down in almost a week now. There were some other glitches that kept showing up from time to time as well... like not being able to post and getting weird error messages when it happened. All seems to be working properly now. I hope it continues to work... she paid 2 years service in advance, :-(. That's something I'd never recommend for anybody unless they've been with a company long enough to know if they are reliable or not.

StephanieCordray

Linux... don't know which flavor. it's been running okay for almost a week now, so her complaints must have gotten her somewhere, :). Still stinks she paid for 2 years tho. It starts crawling with my cable connection when there's more than 50 people on there but hasn't gone down again, yet.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
PC Technology INC. said:
I know maybe why: Did she reprogrammed Linux with the SQL or she just left it like that?
what's the OS have to do with anything? phpbb is a premade script using a MySQL database for the backend.

StephanieCordray

PC Technology INC. said:
I know maybe why: Did she reprogrammed Linux with the SQL or she just left it like that?

This is a moot point because she doesn't run the server, the hosting company does. It's shared hosting.

z, he was asking basically if it was linux or windows more than what flavor of linux.. at least I think he was.

StephanieCordray

No, she didn't because it's shared hosting... that's the hosting company's responsibility... which is why i asked it the way i did in the first place... I've never had a problem with anything like that with any board we've run but i have never worked with vbulletin, either so... just thought I'd ask on the offchance that it was something but i pretty much knew there wouldn't be.