Can I make my website work without having and internet connection?

ivanmax

Hi everybody,

First of all thanks a lot for the many times you have helped me

Well, let´s see if you can give me a hand with this. In three weeks time I will have to be fighting for a job in a Spanish school. I will have to be doing an exam and exposing my didactic programming and I have created a primary teaching resources website which I will be using to complement an oral exposition:

www.primaryteachingresources.net

The problem is that I don´t really want to depend on having an internet connection. These exams only take place once every two years and I don´t want to be in the middle of my exposition and lose my internet connection.

The question is: Can I make the site work from my computer without having an internet connection? If so...could you please give some basic guidelines on how to do it?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Iván

LouTheDesigner

Hello,

The answer is yes, you can. As my shirt says "There's no place like 127.0.0.1" (google "local host" if you don't get the joke).

The main question is, will you be using your own computer to do this presentation?

All you will have to do is have the files located in your local host folder on your computer. Next, you'll just need to download either WAMP (for windows) or MAMP (for mac). These will let you have your own little hosting right on your computer -- to put it crudely. You won't be typing the URL in a web address bar, but you'll just run the index page and everything should work out.

Once you google WAMP or MAMP you will get the picture.

-Lou

DHDdirect

XAMPP is also great software for running a website locally. It is software that easily sets up apache, php, and mysql on your local machine and is very useful if you require server side scripting and database support on your local website.

I haven't used WAMP but i'm sure it's very comparible