Building an intranet site - where to start?

Chubigans

Hello. I am planning on building an intranet website for my small business.

The basic functionality i need of the website is this: Employees of my company log on and input reports on sales they have made (using drop-down menus and such), and it stores this information in a database. I want to be able to log on and retrieve said information from the database. I want to be able to look at their sales reports on my computer.

I do not have a web server. I have never programmed a database before. I am just looking for some direction. This amount of functionality is pretty basic and I know there has to be some way of doing it that is not very difficult.

I'd rather not buy any software, as I am good at learning programming languages and concepts very easily. So I'd like to program my own thing if it's not too hard. But web scripting is not my forte. Yet.

If someone could just explain what I'd need to do, i think it's something like this. Create a web server. Somehow host a database on this web server. Create the web pages, but somehow with some programming "link" the webpage dynamically to the database so i can create new entries and retrieve entries.

Another problem I would have would obviously be creating usernames and passwords. I don't understand how that works.

If you would reccomend I start at the bottom, please say so, I have a lot of free time. Also, if I've posted in the wrong forum, please say so.

Thank you!