Bootstrap Grid System -- Is it too constrictive?

Hazey Coder

Hi All,

If I'm using Bootstrap 3 on a project, as you know, it has a wonderful grid system. But, what if the PSDs used to design the site's layout were not created with Bootstrap in mind? For example, margins between elements are different, and column widths seem to need adjusting almost on a case by case basis. Is there any best way to alter this or do I actually have to drop the grid system entirely?

Thanks,

Hazey

chrishirst

Staff member
A good example why developers should NEVER, EVER use "frameworks" because when the day you have to think for yourself comes along, .... you are screwed!!

Also, why should designers limit their creative skills to suit developers with coding skills that constrain them to one 'framework'. If you want to be a "website developer" learn how to develop websites NOT how to use a "painting by numbers" kit.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Grid systems are altogether too constricting, especially considering you could build your own that's customized to the current project in less than 10 minutes with less than 30 lines of code.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hear a lot about bootstrap, and I can't say I've every really used it. I also find it a prerequisite in a lot of jobs which is strange too. As I remember it wasn't that long ago people wanted you to understand 960gs and who even bothers with that now.

I figure what matters is that the design is translated onto the page and works and functions as it should, whether the margin is actually 8px or 10px or 1% or 2.4327850% or 2rem or whatever measurement you use.

Most designers/developers have their own "system" or "style" which they generally utilise from job to job, some get stuck on using a framework like bootstrap and sticking to the letter with it, others use it and modify it to suit their needs, others again write their own systems and layouts and therefore their "style" each to their own but it's clear if you write it all from scratch you understand why every single line is in there.