Bit of a strange one..

Christofaah

Dear all,

This is more a general question about websites than to review mine (mainly because it's not finished yet!) but here goes..

I've been asked to make/design/maintain a website for somebody and as its the first time i've ever done it, i'm not really sure how much or by what means i am meant to charge for this? Does anybody have a guideline, say: Per page, per hour, i don't know?

Hope this is in the correct section and would love to hear from somebody soon.

Many thanks,

Chris

notarypublic

It will depend somewhat on your relation to the person who you are designing the site for.

Is it a friend? Family? I charge less for people I'm closer to, especially when I was just starting out - they're more forgiving on things taking more time than expected, or maybe not quite as good quality.

For comparison purposes, industry standard in the US is something like $500 per site, 3 to 5 pages. This does not include hosting or domain registration, bringing the total closer to $650. This is for a standard, basic, run of the mill website - Dynamic pages, ad campaigns (including designing a logo), or additional pages will all increase the cost to 1200 or 1500 for a medium sized site.

I never charge per hour, some projects would be $25 per hour and others $50 or more. Per project is a lot more consistent.

I have learned to always quote by the job. In my experience, the web design process always takes much longer than expected just because of the nature of the beast, so estimates quoted by the hour are hard to meet unless the site is REALLY simple. Plus, I figure I always have something to learn too, so I don't want to charge the client extra for that.