Billing clients for hosting/domain?

lkat

Hello everyone,

I'll start off by saying I just graduated from college with a multimedia course that mixed graphic and web design. I'm fresh out of school and I would like to do some freelance web work, but I'm a little worried about the billing process, as my college instructors didn't go over that part.

When you design a website for someone else, do you bill them separetly for the hosting and domain name? do you just get their credit card number and enter it into the site? or do you bill them for the web hosting/domain and then just give the site your cc # to cover the cost? I'm a little confused about that part and any information would be appreciated.

L

DHDdirect

If you plan on paying for services with your own funds make sure you send a bill and get paid before hand. And when it comes to renewal make certain you leave enough time to get payment especially for domain renewal. You don't want to get stuck with a customer that desides to cancel at the last minute.

If they trust you, and you can trust yourself, you can hold customers credit card information but it could be a bit risky in the sense of security.

But I'd say the best way is to have them pay for the services directly (just notify them of which hosting/domain company you'll be using and tell them to sign up) or make them find there own host if they choose.

I hope that helps.

XeHSean

I would recommend that invest in a reseller hosting plan because then you can charge them for the hosting and keep the money they pay

lkat

I know that some people don't handle the domain registration/hosting whatsoever, and that sounds like it may be best for me. How does that usually work with people who aren't really familiar with the internet/computers?

XeHSean

Perhaps you should consider signing up for an affiliate account with a hosting company then - you can send clients to a company and get paid for each signup you get