best ISPs for doing your own webhosting?

aracaris

I've decided I want to start learning how to host websites. No I'm not going to host any for clients at first, but maybe once I get a hang of it I will.
However I really don't know which ISPs are good for doing this sort of thing.
Currently I have SBC global's el cheapo service, and it would be no good for web hosting (it's on the slow side, and doesn't come with a static IP, I suspect they also block port 80, though I haven't bothered to actually check yet). I know they have faster services that come with static IPs, anyone tried them for web hosting? How was it?

Any other suggestions of ISPs I should look into?

I'm in Northern CA which I'm sure will have some impact on what's available.

XeHSean

Many ISPs forbid you from hosting websites on their network - I would recommend that you check with your ISP before attempting to do this

10west

Research it well

www.theplanet.com and www.rackspace.com seem pretty up to date, and they have reseller spaces. I'm thinking thats what you buy, then apportion out pieces. if you do this though, find the server rank, not just page rank, but service rank. I have a client who was getting bushwacked on a junk server for like 20 dollars for half a gigabyte. he was a victim in more than 1 way.

1. his web servicer was just milking him
2. he has the guy on the web, but so many layers above a good throughput that his page rank was over 11,000,000 inspite of sites linking in some seo generally speaking, just basic

I moved his site to www.hostmonster.com and have not touched it since, but his page rank went below 3,000,000 in just a week sitting there.

This made me curious, and I don't know the reason, but just a high ranked site, and service technical support reputation made me think it affected his site. There was nothing new or different, and his other site sat there in that condition for over three years.

I think this means research the company's own reputation, traffic, technical support and actual internet connectivity, because it has an effect. There is a lot of junk, rip-off webmasters and the like so look into it.

aracaris

Many ISPs forbid you from hosting websites on their network - I would recommend that you check with your ISP before attempting to do this

Yes you are definitely correct, and I know there are definitely some that do. But even if my current service doesn't forbid hosting, it's not a good option for it anyways, much too slow, and not the most reliable service in the world either. That's why I'm looking for something else, or to possibly get a better service from my current ISP, but I'm not sure if that would be the best option. But can you recommend some which are good for someone wanting to host their own sites?

10west, I'm not looking for a web host, or server I'm wanting to learn how to do run those things myself, that's why I was asking about which ISPs are good.

Anyone have any suggestions as far as which ones I look into?

Last edited:

XeHSean

Is there any specific reason that you want to do this? To provide similar service as many reputable providers today, it will be much more cost-effective for you to use another provider's infrastructure.

aracaris

Is there any specific reason that you want to do this? To provide similar service as many reputable providers today, it will be much more cost-effective for you to use another provider's infrastructure.

I can't learn how to do something myself by just going with another provider, so cost effective or no that doesn't accomplish my goal.

My primary reason is because I like to understand how things work, and get hands on experience with them. At least at first it will really just be a hobby.

Plus it's an opportunity to learn a skill that may be applicable to a job at another company one day, or maybe I will eventually be able to provide hosting for some of my own clients.

Anyways does anyone have any recommendations as far as which ISPs would be good to look into for running my own web host?

Last edited:

HostColor

Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations for ISP's that allow such activity. Most of the ISP's are just blocking the outgoing ports and that is how they are preventing you from running a home server. For example if they are blocking port 80, you won't be able to run Apache or if they are blocking port 21 you won't be able to run an FTP servers(these are the default service ports and they are used only as an examples). If I were you, I'd as the various available ISP's whether they block the outgoing traffic from these most commonly used ports.

constanthosting

I run a bunch of personal servers on a Comcast business connection.

I have a bunch of personal websites on a colo server in Atlanta. Our hosting servers are colo in a datacenter in Indiana.

I believe running your own stuff and maybe some friends websites from home is a great way to learn.