Beauty and Polish Goods Site

mediakill

Hello. I have a polish goods site at polstore.com. I'm thinking of doing a redesign of my site and would like some feedback. I'm looking for any critique however if I could get women's feedback on the site it would be especially valuable. Thoughts on interface as it personally seems overwhelming especially with categories. Trying to make the site as user friendly as possible and would greatly appreciate any comments on what could use improvement. Also women's thoughts on look and layout and what they personally would like to see. No I haven't done a survey yet on my site but would love some thoughts on it overall. Thank you.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
the categories list is just overwhelming and would turn me away, the overall look of the site is too busy. Sometimes less is more.
id remove the featured categories and products, and replace it with a streamlined visual top level category tree. Just leave some space so they can breathe.
As it is already very busy id also remove any visual elements that are just cosmetic, excuse the pun!
Yes, it is redesign time.

mediakill

Thanks. Anything else besides the category list that you'd change? Anything from a female perspective that you'd wanna see added/changed. I'd really like to see this site grow and any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
What i suggested is quite an overhaul of your home page, it will take a while to do that, and is more than just a simple suggestion. Your categories ARE your shop, which is your website, which is your business. Its crucial you get that right.

Cant really give u a female perspective im afraid, but it needs to be attractive, easy to use and navigate. Check out your competitors, or your suppliers sites for some ideas perhaps on having a “feminine touch“

Last edited:

annemarie

I'll try to give some tips as a female designer :p

-I don't really like the color scheme, maybe it's personal but I think a lot of women would like to see something more 'classy'. Try this by using (hot)pink and white/gray gradients for glossy looks.
-Do something with the font, I like thin fonts (but be careful with readability,not narrow)
-you could make a slider with some products or best sellers
-maybe use a horizontal dropdown menu for the categories, with enough space around it so it stands out
-somewhere one the site, maybe header or background, a very subtle floral graphic.
-Also try using sprites because of the many images

I hope this helps a bit

mediakill

Thanks anna wasn't really looking to girlie-ify it so to speak just wanted to make it more appealing for women and easier to use overall. then again I'm a guy so... =) Anyways thanks. Think I know what you mean. Do you guys have any sites to suggest with a layout that you like that would be suitable to emulate for such a cosmetics and goods site for inspiration. Thanks for your help and feedback.

I was also thinking of a survey to send out to customers if anyone has any suggestions on format or q's.