Bandwidth Question..

rka81

Hi,

I recently took some video clips and uploaded it to my personal website for all to see. Now, this month my bandwidth usage has shot through the roof where everyone is viewing the videos.

I have now put my video clips on YouTube and have links on my website to the right pages plus i have uploaded a few of my video clips to an old geocities account and again have the necessary links to view them.

My question is.....By hosting my videos on external sites, will this then save me on bandwidth usage? As it is not a new month just yet i cannot tell if the above has had an impact yet.

Any other ideas to cut down bandwidth usage (i have a personal site where i display photos/videos)

Thanks

ian

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, hosting the videos on an external site will definitely save you bandwith.

leighmcc

Apache will not crash from using the GET command. Apache's main purpose is to serve that command to browsers. The only reason it would crash, was if the server you had it hosted on was not maintained properly, or very old/cheap.

Yes, it will save you bandwidth usage, and you've probably done the wise thing putting them on YouTube. You will actually probably get extra traffic/visitors from the YouTube site itself. :)

One thing you'll want to consider is who owns the videos once you upload them to YouTube, and that other people can easily download the video/put it on their own website. If you don't want people to be able to do this, consider a webhost with a large data transfer limit maybe?

Actually Apache will and can crash using the 'GET' command. You will save bandwidth doing this and thus is a better choice for your situation.