Background picture

Winterchase

What would be the ideal size to use for a background picture so that there wouldn't be any "extra" part of the photograph hanging over the right side on some browsers? Logic is telling me to crop the pic, but my sense of logic often gets me in trouble.

e.g. - it looks good on IE, so long as "Search" is on the left side, but when "Search" is clicked off, there's a lot of extra picture on the right. Also, on some browsers, like Google, there's the same problem.

SiteExpress

It really does not matter what size you make the picture. You won't satisfy all of the browsers, nor will you satisfy all resolutions.

If you use a background pic, just be prepared to see some space on the sides. I would recommend 800 wide. That way it fills the screen in 800x600, and leaves space on the sides in 1024x768. This also means you should center the picture as well.

That is kind of the problem with background pictures. They are difficult to work with. You might look around the net, and find some other sites using one to see what they have done.

Solution to fix all the problems? Dont use a background image.

Last edited:

Winterchase

I know....

SiteExpress said:
... It really does not matter what size you make the picture. You won't satisfy all....

I know about that. Remember, I'm in a business that raised that to an art form. :rolleyes:

On a related subject: on the site, I link to pages of scripts. BUT, much of the formatting is lost in the process. I have to convert the script from MovieMagic Screenwriter to RTF, which retains most/some of the formatting, but can't I somehow, some way ZIP up the file and keep it all?

Come to think of it, I'll try linking to the MovieMagic format and see if that works.

SiteExpress

Not completely sure of what your asking, but if you copy something from an existing site, then paste it into your editor, it will retain most of the original formating. However, if you paste it directly into the code, all formatting is lost.

Winterchase

Nope!

SiteExpress said:
Not completely sure of what your asking, but if you copy something from an existing site, then paste it into your editor, it will retain most of the original formating. However, if you paste it directly into the code, all formatting is lost.

I just tried taking it from MovieMagic and pasting it into a Word document - no dice! No formatting. What I might be asking about is 1. how do you ZIP a file and 2. can it be pasted directly into a Word document without losing any of the formatting.

SiteExpress

i dont think you want to zip anything. Zipping a file is simply a way of consolidation several folders or files into one folder, so that it can be transported (moved) easily.

Can you give me some URLs, and let me know what you are trying to copy?, and where you want to paste it. It might be easier to paste it into a web page, rather than a word doc.

Kiwiberry

If you can't export it as a PDF, like Steph suggested. I"m guessing you're going to have to manually reformat it in a Browser friendly editor. My Assumption is that MovieMagic is some proprietary document editor, and not all the hidden characters and formatting marks are getting copied when you copy-n-paste, which is why the RTF looks different. RTF, typically, removes most proprietary formatting marks, and leaves slightly more than basic text in your document.