AV Streaming

AainaA

Now this is a question for all the experts in AV Streaming., or experts with knowledge in AV Streaming.

I am contemplating getting a system for my next project - {I hate it when I get all these ideas}.. anyway,

• What's the best system to get for Audio/Video Streaming?
  • Bandwidth
  • Semi-Ded, or Ded, or Managed?
  • Which companies offer them?
  • Would experts have to be hired to manage it?
  • Software needed?
Video streaming should be in the likes of Real or Flash

Thank you

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
personally, i would go with windows media files over anything from real. i have yet to see a real media video that was good quality. another option to consider would be quicktime. :)

Praetor

Quicktime is uber inefficient and plain silly wasteful (the cost of being somewhat standardized but an excessive cost at that ... a 100MB QT file is really about 15MB of MPEG4).

I agree with the WMV :) As for real......

Attachments

• Real Buffering.jpg
    Real Buffering.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 121

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i don't know, i have some pretty high res good quality quicktime vids that aren't all to big in size. however i do agree that the compression isn't as good as wmv or mpeg or any of the newer codecs such as divx or xvid, but i didn't think it was that bad.

btw, that pic priceless and all to true! :D

StephanieCordray

You're going to need a lot of bandwidth. That's a given. How much will depend on how many files of what size plus traffic. As to which to choose from your list, that will depend on how ambitious you are.

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
AainaA said:
Euh... I was referring to hosting streaming flash/real videos... any idea?
and we were answering one of the first questions you ask! :p

AainaA said:
  • What's the best system to get for Audio/Video Streaming?
but yes, like suz said, depending on the scale of the site you will need a lot of transfer and will there for most likely be best off on a dedicated server solution.

StephanieCordray

zkiller said:

but yes, like suz said, depending on the scale of the site you will need a lot of transfer and will there for most likely be best off on a dedicated server solution.

I agree but it really does depend on the scale of the site. I kind of got the feeling that she would need a managed server if she goes the dedicated route and I'd hate to see her pay those prices if she doesn't need to. I haven't seen any services I'd trust that charge less than $400/month for a managed one.

AainaA

zkiller said:

but yes, like suz said, ......

I didn't know Stephanie and SuZ are one and the same personality :confused:

AainaA

StephanieCordray said:
I agree but it really does depend on the scale of the site. I kind of got the feeling that she would need a managed server if she goes the dedicated route and I'd hate to see her pay those prices if she doesn't need to. I haven't seen any services I'd trust that charge less than $400/month for a managed one.

I'm more likely look into a Terrabyte solution so to speak for the bandwidth, and yes, likely a managed server that is capable of streaming video. What about server-side software?

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
i'm just very much un-motivated these days. i just lack any source of inspiration for much of anything anymore. everyday is the same. the same job, the same nothingness, the same lonlyness, the same frustrations, the same cluelessness. it's really not as bad as it sounds, but anyways...

AainaA

you need to get out of it - don't kill yourself! Get out before its too late - go tango with Ian or [tab] I'm sure they'd love to have you there with them :D

zkiller

Super Moderator
Staff member
lol... i don't believe ian is the kind of guy that does the tango, but you never know i guess. :)