As a web designer, should I use Adobe Fireworks? :/

JakClark

Hi, I'm Jak, a freelance web designer from Lincoln, UK. I recently signed up to the forum, to 'research' and compare what other web designers are and should be doing.

I'd like to start by asking a quick question, which I hope I've asked in the right category.

I've been designing websites for about three years, in which I believe they have got better and better, but obviously not to a degree that I'm a pro. But I notice that the majority of web designers use photoshop. A program of which I cannot get to grips with, as I'm much more comfortable using Fireworks.

Am I being 'unprofessional' in designing my websites in such a program, despite it originally being created for that purpose? <-- Correct me if I'm incorrect.

Particularly when I'm eager to design some layouts to sell on a marketplace, although they only accept .PSD's.

I've an example of a piece of work I created in fireworks, although it's not to the best of my ability.

watermarkeddesigntworea.png

I may sound silly asking this, and perhaps a little unprofessional. But that's why I've turned here, to ask.

Thankyou in advance, Jak Clark.
www.jakclarkdesign.co.uk

Last edited:

PixelPusher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jak you are by no means doing anything wrong using Fireworks. Adobe made the product for web design. I am a veteran Photoshop user so that's what I stick to. I would say all in all it is a matter of preference.

The plus side to Photoshop... its more than just a web design tool. Its for photographers, print designers, and more. I would say Fireworks just targets on one Photoshop's many facets.

smoovo

Fireworks designed only for web design, so if you would like to do more, like many others (that's why you hear what you hear), so try to learn Photoshop, it does it all.

- Enjoy.

v2Media

Fireworks is ideal for simple designs. It's a bit limiting if you need to do anything advanced though.

Fireworks is an essential part of the development process in my company. Photoshop designs are exported as PNG files, then sliced and diced in Fireworks. Photoshop can also slice and export, but it simply sucks at it - convoluted and bloated file sizes on export.

nedo

Fireworks is professional program, dont get fooled by those that tell you it's not.
Photoshop is also professional tool, but since Adobe is pushing his advertising far more than fireworks, it's logical that more people will use it.

anna

Fireworks is professional program, dont get fooled by those that tell you it's not.
Photoshop is also professional tool, but since Adobe is pushing his advertising far more than fireworks, it's logical that more people will use it.

No one is saying FW is not a professional program, in fact, most people mentioned they use BOTH programs.

I for one, use PS and FW for sites. However, as V2 stated, PS has more capabilities whereas FW is more for web stuff.

JakClark

It seems, after a bit more researching, that more people use Fireworks than I thought. Perhaps they just use more Photoshop friendly methods in Fireworks, such as flattening objects into bitmaps, and using Photoshop Live Effects.

That kind of answers my other problem of not having the ability to sell PNG's on any marketplaces such as Envato (Themeforest). I realise that I'll have to be more Photoshop friendly when it comes to designing my websites in Fireworks :D

Again, thankyou guys ;)

JakClark

No one is saying FW is not a professional program, in fact, most people mentioned they use BOTH programs.

I for one, use PS and FW for sites. However, as V2 stated, PS has more capabilities whereas FW is more for web stuff.

Oh, didn't see this post, thankyou by the way. :)

kenmaddox

Your absolutely great, wish I can be as good as you with fireworks well I only have a little knowledge with fireworks for I was introduced in adobe photoshop first hope I could learn few tricks to fireworks

JakClark

Your absolutely great, wish I can be as good as you with fireworks well I only have a little knowledge with fireworks for I was introduced in adobe photoshop first hope I could learn few tricks to fireworks

Was the above directed to me, or the link that another user provided? I'm not being vain, I'd just like to say thank you if you were complementing me :p

Sorry if you weren't talking to me in particular :D