amateur web design

omglookitsagoat

Hi. I'm trying to improve my website. I realize the content needs a lot of work. I used to have my website entirely orange and blue, but it looked very unprofessional. I noticed a lot of the most professional looking websites use a lot more white space, so I made the background white and changed the colors in my website to see if that would improve the look of it. I had every page just green and white, but it looked like a heck of a lot of green, so I tried making it so every page was a different color because I thought it might be cool. I'm wondering if it would be better if I just left them all the same color with the same CSS like before, though. What do you think?

www.microraptorarts.com

anna

I like what you're doing but I have one suggestion. Remove the background color on the links. They are unnecessary and distracting. Other than that, I think with a little improvement, you're doing pretty well!

anna

Oh, on your about me page, you list one job twice with different dates. Maybe you could merge them somehow because at first I thought you had listed one job, twice. :)

d a v e

use the room a little more - more space between menu items
more padding in the boxes
more line-height

about me page is broken link (from children's books page) also on children's books page you the apostrophe in the wrong place on children's books.

the thumbnail is poor quality try
little-garden.jpg

Denno

I actually like the idea you're getting at here. Seems fun. You're keeping the layout consistent between the pages, but just changing the main colour, nice idea.
Home page and Contact page are the same colour, and Products/About Me page are the same colour, I reckon you should make them all different. Rainbow from Home page through to About Me page maybe? Red through to Violet?

I would agree with anna about removing the background colour on your links though, try and make them unique in a different way.

Also, as dave said, utilize the space more. The navigation menu is a little too compact. Spread that out a bit so it's bleedingly obvious that the items are different.

Also, the font choices, I would suggest looking into different options. Open up MS Word, type the title word, and then fly through all the different fonts in the list to find one that pops out and looks a bit better..

Denno

JakClark

Hello :D

I really like the artwork in your portfolio, perhaps you could somehow make use of it in your website. You'd have one beautiful website if you could :)

Regards,
-Jak

toffeecreative

Hey,

You site looks ok, I agree with what you say anout it looking a bit "too" green. It could be better using some shading or something. I am a website designer so would be happy to give you a hand with a re-design if you would like.

Cheers
Adam

www.toffeecreative.co.uk