Am I wrong for feeling this way?

JustMeAgain

I need your opinion. Years ago I created a large website for a local business for free. Now this woman wants updates which is fine. However, she wants to bring in another designer for her creative input. I was did 100% of the design on her website but suddenly someone else is in on the game? I can't help but feel threatened and insulted. Am I wrong for feeling this way? I am perplexed.

benjamin.morgan

Tell her to get the other designer to do it. Tell her how you feel. If you did the design what is the other designer for? To make you do the work? It just seems like she is wasting money. I definitely would be upset about it.

JustMeAgain

Tell her to get the other designer to do it. Tell her how you feel. If you did the design what is the other designer for? To make you do the work? It just seems like she is wasting money. I definitely would be upset about it.

Then how do I get out of this graciously? I know these people personally and they live by me.

CaldwellYSR

Personally I think you're overreacting a bit. As long as you get paid I don't see the problem with collaborating. Maybe it's a bit insulting if you feel like she doesn't like your design work but if she doesn't like it then she doesn't. I'd go talk to her and ask why she feels the need for another designer and move from there.

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Caldwell hit the nail on the head. If you consider yourself any kind of professional, stifle your hurt feelings and just do the work. I wouldn't even bother with why she wants another designer. Who knows, maybe you'll make a new friend...

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah, professionally going and having a cry about how upset you are that shes gone with someone else is just silly.

its the nature of the business

besides this new designer might actually be better, so there might be a good reason for the switch.

yeah, professionally going and having a cry about how upset you are that shes gone with someone else is just silly.

its the nature of the business

besides this new designer might actually be better, so there might be a good reason for the switch.

And I'll take it a step further. If he/she IS better, take it as a learning experiance and walk away from it with something positive.

redig

It really depends on all the details.

If you did the site for free initially, and now she's planning on paying another designer for work, I would personally be a bit upset. I've had similar situations where I did work for friends for free to "help them get started" because they didn't have the money to pay me and get things rolling at the same time. Then they paid someone else to do similar work for them.

But then, I wasn't offended as a creative contributor -- I was offended that I was taken advantage of. So the scenario is probably different.

If she's paying you for your upcoming work, I'd try to avoid letting it get to you. It's perfectly natural to feel like your art has been rejected, but that's the nature of the business. For every site you redesign, there is another designer in the same position you are now.

Lothlorien

People value what they pay for something. So what you did for free - they value that as being just that - free.

In my early days I did a lot of work for free - only to find out later that the people I did the work for would get someone else in to add to the site and pay them. They equated me to being free and wouuld look elsewhere for people who wern't.

Yes, it was upsetting but you learn from it and move on. I rarely do any free work now.

If you are getting paid for improvements and work with another designer - then what is the problem? If she expects you to do it for free - then don't do it. If you are getting paid - then go for it. As some people said - you could learn from it and also make a new friend.

jussabeat

I agree with Lothlorien, do your thing and see what comes after... Or just talk with the site owner and tell her about your feelings and that you don't want someone else to interact with your work. Or tell her to pay for your initial free job that you perform for her and after that she'll be free to ask anyone she likes to modify it however she likes to...
Have a nice day! :)

DotCom

lesson learned! you have 2 options now. You can collaborate or you can lure her away from using that designer and sale her on using you (If you want to be a capitalist about it and if its in the best interest of your company"if you have one") if you want to perhaps innovate collaborating would be the best thing. Never walk away, suck it up! this is the game of business, you gotta learn to control your emotions. The lesson learned here is "become better at what you do" nobody cares about how good you used to be. Its 2012!

if i were you i wouldn't listen to anybody else on this thread especially the comment above. These people lack the understanding of what a client relationship is all about. These people have no personal morals just whats socially accepted. It is truly sad to see. Read up on business and communication. These people are ridiculous.....

Last edited:

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
if i were you i wouldn't listen to anybody else on this thread especially the comment above. These people lack the understanding of what a client relationship is all about. These people have no personal morals just whats socially accepted. It is truly sad to see. Read up on business and communication. These people are ridiculous.....

how do you know
1. I lack the understanding of what a client relationship is all about?
2. I have no personal morals?

Considering your "advice" was essentially just a rehash of what everybody else said... Whats truly sad to see is people like you making such bold statements with nothing new or relevant to back it up.

Lothlorien

Oh, how nice - we have a troll here.