Advice on buying an iPad2 : for an Apple virgin

wbmkk

My wife has decided to buy me an iPad2 but I need some advice please.

I have never owned any Apple products, but they seem to be popular and from what I hear, less prone to trouble etc.

I will be using it to surf, while 'out and about'

There seem to be three memory options, 16GB, 32GB and 64GB but I don't know what the benefits are for the bigger memory, taking in effect that I want to surf and have no interest in downloading music or whatever

Would the 16GB do me ?

Also, there is another option 3G

What is this needed for ?

Is it true Apple offer a free repair service for all their products ?

And finally ..

Recently, I have been using my daughters laptop while away from home, by use of a Three USB dongle and a pre-loaded 90 day SIM. It has worked fine.

Could I continue to use this dongle and sim on the iPAD ?

I thank you for any replies provided

mep916

There seem to be three memory options, 16GB, 32GB and 64GB but I don't know what the benefits are for the bigger memory

Storage would be the correct term. The ipad2 ships with 512mb of memory.

Would the 16GB do me ?

it seems that you wouldn't need a ton of storage for media, so I think a 16gb would be more than suitable. Keep in mind that a typical song takes up 3 mb, and a std def video will require no more than 700mb, so i think that if you're using this device for web browsing and email primarily, you're gonna be set.

Also, there is another option 3G

What is this needed for ?

If you're unable to find a free or accessible wi-fi spot, but you need internet access, you're gonna want 3g ( so long as you can find a reliable 3g carrier). If you live in an area that doesn't have so-called hot-spots, or you frequently use your ipad outside of your home network, then it may be worth it to pay for a 3g data plan and purchase a 3g model. that pretty much a personal preference.

Is it true Apple offer a free repair service for all their products ?

no, that's not true. Ipads and other apple products ship with a 90 day limited warranty, at least that's how it works here in the states. You could look into an applecare insurance policy, although I dunno whether or not they cover this product.

Last edited:

BMA

Banned
Three times in my life I've ended up buying some Apple product because my wife or niece has specified wanting an Apple product. Of course, then they want me to set it up. After all these years, Apple still does not play nice with Windows (IMHO). The way they want to set up with your PC is ridiculously controlling. Set up always takes hours and is much more difficult than necessary. When ever I end up setting up a more Windows or PC oriented comparable device, I have a device ready to work in minutes instead of the hours it usually takes to get Apple products working. If you still have a choice, I say only buy Apple pads, pods, and phones if your computer is an Apple.

HTML Egg

Hi, unless you plan on storing lots of videos and pictures, I think the 16G is sufficient. I have a 3G but rarely use it, I'm always around WIFI networks. Remember you need to get a data plan too for the 3G, so it's extra cost not just for the iPad but going forward too.

And in case you do get one and want to try doing a bit of web design on the iPad, I would like to recommend my App, the HTML Egg. :) Would love to hear feedbacks from real designers like you guys. If you're interested in testing it out, let me know.