Adding template sites to online portfolio?

LouTheDesigner

Hello,

Would anyone consider it unethical (or is perhaps illegal) to include a site or two, created by a template but heavily modified, on your online portfolio? What about sites created with Joomla using one of Joomla's themes?

Many thanks,

-Lou

v2Media

I had a feeling you'd post this after some of the topics that have come up over the past fortnight.

Consider a categorised folio that distinguishes between the types of web design that you do. Something along these lines:-

Custom Web Design: Websites designed from scratch, no templated assets.
Budget Web Design: Business websites based on customised templates.
Joomla Web Design: Commercial websites using the popular Joomla CMS.

The idea is to be forthright about the fact that you've used templates, but in a manner that's positive. Your customers will probably not care, they're focused on how your sites look and work. Your peers will care and if you try to pass off someone else's work as your own, they can jeopardise your reputation via negative PR.

As an aside, I know you prefer to work with templates and you say that you heavily customise them. 'Heavily' is a relative term. Would you be willing to show a template and the completed design for us to gauge the difference?

If the design is as heavily customised as you say, it would be perfectly reasonable to call it a custom design inspired by a previous design.

bcee

I had a feeling you'd post this after some of the topics that have come up over the past fortnight.

Consider a categorised folio that distinguishes between the types of web design that you do. Something along these lines:-

Custom Web Design: Websites designed from scratch, no templated assets.
Budget Web Design: Business websites based on customised templates.
Joomla Web Design: Commercial websites using the popular Joomla CMS.

The idea is to be forthright about the fact that you've used templates, but in a manner that's positive. Your customers will probably not care, they're focused on how your sites look and work. Your peers will care and if you try to pass off someone else's work as your own, they can jeopardise your reputation via negative PR.

As an aside, I know you prefer to work with templates and you say that you heavily customise them. 'Heavily' is a relative term. Would you be willing to show a template and the completed design for us to gauge the difference?

If the design is as heavily customised as you say, it would be perfectly reasonable to call it a custom design inspired by a previous design.

Very well put.

Also having a categorized portfolio of these types of projects may help potential clients.

zhoom

I think there is no wrong to include those to your portfolio because you've still done some sort of work on it. Just be sure that you also acknowledge the usage of those themes.