Adding e-commerce functionality to website

bchis0001

Hi,

I am getting a website designed in India for a online jewelry store. I would like to have someone in the US handle the e commerce functionality once the site is build. Would it be possible to split the project in 2 phases? Would that be too much of a hassle to move code from one designer to a new one in the states?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

leroy30

Why not ask your two providers since it will be them that will determine if it is a hassle or not

Pheno

That sounds like a very inefficient way of doing things. Ecommerce solutions are designed from the ground up around an ecommerce CMS like Magento, Open cart etc.

Are the Indian company just doing the design (PSD files), or are they building a working website?

Janja

Hi Ben, are they coding the website in html, wordpress? Usually you would choose a e-commerce solution like Pheno mentioned. If it is in wordpress, you can add the shopping cart functionality later.
Technically, you could always have a button in your site linking to the shop in a sub folder so the shop would be a e-commerce cart separately.

But here's the other question: is it really worth the hassle of time-differences, translation - language problems? How do you know, they won't run off with your money?
It makes me so sad because there is a lot of freelancers who have to survive here in the Us and would be glad to give you a good price...but I'm not here to judge.

Anyway, if you hire somebody here to just do the e-commerce part, you might as well get the whole thing done here. Trying to implement the shopping cart into an exiting site is as much work as creating the whole thing from the beginning with oscommerce, wordpress etc...

Last edited:

jason22

i recommend you to look at prestashop.. there are a lot of online jewelry stores using it for free. also you can integrate a blog there for free and work very well. it depends which one is more important for you. the blog ..or the shop? I think it's better for you to start a new online store and to integrate your existing blog there. It's more easy and can be also free.

Phreaddee

Super Moderator
Staff member
it still amuses me no end that people rush into these things without thinking about it?

I actually like to meet with my clients and figure out what they need, and work out the best, most efficient solution available. clearly this hasn't happened here and you just want it done on the cheap.

you get what you pay for. yes probably it will be difficult, should it be? no.

an e-commerce system should be built from the ground up. if your indian friends cant get it functioning 100% (including ecommerce), then go with someone else - it is a waste of time otherwise... once the site is built you can then hire someone local to manage the site.