Absolute positioning

CaldwellYSR

Typically I use absolute positioning extremely sparingly. Literally ONLY when I absolutely need to do it. However, for this design I'm playing with is a site that is written on a piece of paper. I have a handwriting font that I like and I'm playing with line-heights and font-sizes to get everything looking good. I'm a little worried though because the only way I've found to get everything lined up correctly is to have it absolutely positioned... How bad is that going to be for cross-browser and cross-platform compatibility?

ronaldroe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could be bad...real bad. Or, it might not break at all. You'll just have to test it. You're already a step in the right direction by being concerned.

CaldwellYSR

Could be bad...real bad. Or, it might not break at all. You'll just have to test it. You're already a step in the right direction by being concerned.

How would you go about testing it? Trying out multiple browsers and then resizing the browser bigger and smaller is the only thing i can think of. Are there other ways?

UPDATE: I've been testing it in safari so far and I just tried it in chrome and firefox... Chrome looks fine but firefox the font is bigger and the line height looks different so it's putting it off the lines.

UPDATE2: So I've got it working in FF now too! Line-height and font-size as pure pixel sizes fixes the issues of FF having a different normal for line-height.

Last edited: