about pictures

Discussion in 'Graphic Design' started by inkui, May 16, 2011.

to remove all ads.
  1. inkui

inkui New Member

were can i find sheep pictures or free ones that is legal to use on the webpages i have created. (webpages i am going to sell to other companies)

i want to have about 1-200 pictures in pretty good quality (1000px *1000px)

:)

2. ronaldroe

ronaldroe Super Moderator Staff Member

Try either Wiki Commons, or Creative Commons.

3. krymson

krymson Member

google free, royalty free stock photography

4. DHDdirect

DHDdirect New Member

My first check would be images.google.com. You can advance search for high resolution images.

Royalty free just means you don't have to pay every time the image is used/shown. So some image website may claim royalty free but still charge a one time fee.

5. helloworld

helloworld New Member

Since you are looking for that many images.. you may want to consider a site that will let you sign up for unlimited image downloads for a set period of time.
    This might save you enough time to make the cost worth it.. just a thought

6. BMA

BMA Banned

Here's a few good ones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheep

Most images on Wikipedia are free to use, but with certain conditions. Simply read the license on each picture and follow the instructions.

7. JackRT

JackRT New Member

Not all the images in google searches are royalty free though, am I mistaken? Just because something is published and google provides it in its result does not mean it's available for public use...

Having said that, he can contact the origin of the pics and ask if they can be reused... it'd not hurt to ask...

8. d a v e

d a v e New Member

contact 200 people and hope they all answer and all say yes?!

9. DHDdirect

DHDdirect New Member

Yes you are probably right about images not being public domain just because they are displayed in a public domain. But with that said, owners of such images would need to take better precaution such as watermarks and/or robots.txt

You can disallow google images bot from crawling your pages using the following in a robots.txt:

Code:
    User-agent: Googlebot-Image
    Disallow: /

Googles reference to this.

10. d a v e

d a v e New Member

op is still going to be looking at using an image bank of some kind - or taking their camera and taking their own pictures of sheep :)

11. DHDdirect

DHDdirect New Member

There are plenty of sheep out here in South Australia.. I'll grab my camera.. How much you think inkui is willing to pay?? :)

12. BMA

BMA Banned

Photographs can be copyright protected even without bot blocking code, watermarks, or a visible copyright anywhere on the page. I know of a small practice in PA who got sued over their website, because the designer (not us) lifted a photo from someone else's website on the west coast. Open license photos are widely available and stock photography is inexpensive, especially for websites. There's no good reason to open yourself to the liability of stealing photographs. Know the license of the photographs you use. Don't guess.

13. DHDdirect

DHDdirect New Member

So Google covers their butt by stating that images may be subject to copyright but what else would Google Images be used for? So I suppose that if you use images from Google images you'll be covered as long as you state each source of the images. Sort of like a list of references in a book to ward off any thoughts of plagiarisim.

I can't imagine someone got sued because of one image, unless it was a company trademark or logo.

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you though. Photos could still very well be copyrighted. I was just making a statement that if photographers/businesses that are wanting to protect their material their are more ways to go about it.

As Ron has stated, commons.wikimedia.org is a very nice site if you want to steer clear of any possibility of copyright issues. It generally states the licensing of each image.

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  14. krymson

krymson Member

like i said i pay a yearly fee of $5 to download and use unlimited high res photos, its just easier to pay and not have to worry.

15. che09

che09 New Member

Well,try to Google. I'm sure Google can help you a lot on it! Good Luck!! :)

16. BMA

BMA Banned

So Google covers their butt by stating that images may be subject to copyright but what else would Google Images be used for?
    Lots of things. Product searches for instance. When I have clients all over the US and need to include pictures of houses in their design, I use Google images to see what the homes in that area look like. People in different parts of the country dress differently, have different hair styles. I use Google images to check on that sometimes before choosing stock photography for a particular client. When I was planning to restore a 1963 Ford Falcon, I used Google Images to see what other people had done.

So I suppose that if you use images from Google images you'll be covered as long as you state each source of the images. Sort of like a list of references in a book to ward off any thoughts of plagiarisim.
    If by covered you mean covered in shame and lawsuits, yes.;) Stealing something does not become legal by saying where you stole it. It's about copyright law.

I can't imagine someone got sued because of one image, unless it was a company trademark or logo.
    It was a picture of a veterinarian with a pet.

I'm certainly not disagreeing with you though. Photos could still very well be copyrighted. I was just making a statement that if photographers/businesses that are wanting to protect their material their are more ways to go about it.
    Such as? I would say enforcing your copyrights legally is the main way to go about it.

As Ron has stated, commons.wikimedia.org is a very nice site if you want to steer clear of any possibility of copyright issues. It generally states the licensing of each image.

17. anna

anna New Member

ANYTHING that is created by someone is considered "original" art and is copyrighted; doesn't matter if it's filed with the library of congress (though that helps!) So YES- one picture could mean the difference. A company stole MY photos and used them on their website. I sent them a ceast and desist letter giving them 2 weeks to remove the images. Needless to say, the photos were GONE from their site very quickly.

Be very careful about using images without the express written permission of the artist/photog. When in doubt, don't do it. Pay the small fee for stock images or like Dave said- get a camera and go shoot it yourself. Hell, anyone is a photographer these days, anyway! :)

18. jumpingspider

jumpingspider New Member

Great thought! I bet by doing this would really save time!

19. iGifts

iGifts New Member

Check out 123rf.com. They have awesome high quality images, and they now have a free section with great options. These are smaller than you're looking for, I think, but you still might enjoy some of what you find.

20. computerGeek

computerGeek Banned

can't you just google images..? is it illegal to get your photos from there..?