A few Joomla Questions

LouTheDesigner

A few Joomla Questions,

So I have been experimenting with Joomla lately, and I must say I love the extensions, but I am left with a few questions.

Are there any free Joomla templates out there that do not require you to reference the original designer or Joomla in any way? Where can I get these?

Also. Usually when I design a site for a client, I design the site on my computer and then upload it when ready. I know to never upload the full site until a majority of payments are received. But it seems that if I am editing the site with Joomla, everything is online all the time. How should this impact the way that I handle payments with clients? Some clients don't want their websites up at all until they are 100% complete. What should I do about this, since the Joomla development is done entirely online?

BTW, I am about to install CS4, and it'll be interesting to see my next choice between the new Adobe Suite and Joomla.

Lou

jnjc

Not sure about the template question.

As for development/deployment I usually develop on one of my own sub-domains. When the client has given the thumbs up (and the money out) I then zip up the directories, dump the DB and deploy both live.

I found the easiest way to do it is to first install an empty copy of Joomla on the live server.

Then unzip my site over the empty install.

Then load the dumped data into the fresh install DB.

HTH,
JC

LouTheDesigner

Okay I have 2 more questions.

1. Many times, a client needs a very fine tuned change to my html sites, like moving up a text box or adjusting margins. Is Joomla short sighted when it comes to this? In other words, are the templates very restricting? I would hate it if a client asked me to do something small, and I have to respond by saying "Sorry I can't do that."

2. Do some people actually earn a living just by building Joomla sites for clients?

Thanks in advance,

Lou

jnjc

1) Joomla is totally flexible in regards to this, if you can do what you need using .css changes to the template then it's pretty easy to mod the plugin and modules

2) Not me