A few billing questions

brianswebdesign

I am finalizing my contract/paperwork and wanted to see how you guys handle a few issues.

1-Stock photography: If I purchase so many credits for istockphoto can I just charge my clients a base price of two or three dollars per credit?

2-Domain registration: If I register my clients' domains under my account and pay for them through my business can I charge a flat rate or should I charge the exact actual fee?

3-Setup Fees: One of the example contracts I have seen had web hosting listed and had a separate charge for web hosting setup. Do any of you charge a fee for setting up hosting or other services that do not have an actual cost to you?

Last edited:
1. Since stock credits are pretty inexpensive, I would just add a few dollars to your fee to cover the cost of photos actually used on the site.
2. In the past I have billed for the exact registration fee. Another option is to ask for your client's credit card number and register a new account with that. I don't recommend using your own account, but if you do, ask your client to set up their own new account, then you should transfer the registration to it. You don't want to get stuck with charges after the first year.
3. I usually quote a fixed price for building a site, which includes my labor for setup. Re the hosting charges, same guidelines as #2 apply.

Hope this is helpful.

ccowan

Stock Photography - I usually charge them exactly what it cost or have them go buy them and send me the images.

Domains - You could charge them a little more than what it costs and call the charge a domain and setup fee.

Hosting - Same as above

The best thing to do is just invest in a reseller package that lets you sell someone else's services under your own name and then you make a percentage of all the sells.